Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Antonio Herrero

That's my Godfather. This mafioso hard looking man, had one of the biggest hearts of my knowledge. He was there for me from the start of my life and helped our family through the ups and downs of a foreign family immersed in a thick Spanish village. For the past 6 winters I used that area as my training camp. And now, for the first time due to a new team and great opportunity I must do my prep. here in the States. Although I wont be back Spain for a while, Antonio wont be there either. Sadly he died just a few months ago. I expected to be back over the winter to be with his family, but it must wait. I will miss stopping by his quaint bar on the side of the road up the 5km climb to the village of Frigiliana. He was always there for me for a chat after my long rides and with a "tapa" and refreshing drink. I'll miss his silly questions of why I would ride so long each day, how much I was getting payed, and when I was going to marry an American girl. Well, I am on my way.

No comments: